Although the fire extinguisher was an option for a few non-North American 80 series, it wasn't offered statewide or in most countries. The lack of a fire extinguisher in general is just a recipe for absoute disaster. At best you put out a small fire from over zealous soldering. At worst your entire Land Cruiser burns down in the middle of a forest leaving you and your family stranded, or worse.
This Fire Extinguisher Mount has been designed to attach to the two front 14mm bolts that hold down your front right (passenger's side for North American trucks) seat. Once in place the Fire Extinguisher Mount will give you a mounting platform that will allow you to safely and securely attach a fire extinguisher and bracket of your choice. Previous fire extinguisher installations involve drilling into the transmission hump or into the seat brackets. Both of these are wrought with risk due to the placement of wire runs. Mounting it on the transmission hump means your knee always knows its there and its just not comfortable.
This Fire Extinguisher Mount puts the fire extinguisher low and close to the driver's or passenger's feet for quick access. You want the fire extinguisher always within arms reach. Doesn't do you much good to have the fire extinguisher in the back under your gear when you are sitting at the drivers seat.
There are three switch knock-outs laser cut into either ends of the mount. There is a Toyota-style switch knock-out on the transmission hump side that allows you to add a stealth switch using the standard later model 80 series dash switches. On the driver's door side there will be two knock-outs for waterproof switches plus wiring and disconnects that are available as options. The water proof switches are the same switches used for all Wits' End electrical products.
The Fire Extinguisher Mount is made from 14gauge cold rolled steel and powder coated in textured black. The mounting face gives many options to mount your fire extinguisher of choice but you can also add your own mounting holes if needed.
Even in keeping the design low and close to the seat, installation does mean that you will be limiting the forward movement of the seat whenever the Fire Extinguisher Mount is in use. For the vast majority of drivers/passengers the seat is typically pushed all the way back giving maximum leg room. Using the Fire Extinguisher Mount will limit the forward movement to just under 2". If the driver of the 80 series is "short in stature", and needs to have the seat moved forward considerably, it may be better to attach the Fire Extinguisher Mount on the passenger side only.
• Laser cut and CNC bent Fire Extinguisher Mount for the Left Side
• Standard extinguisher mounting hardware (will fit common extinguishers but your exact application may require other hardware not supplied)
- (8) 10-24 x 5/8" Socket Cap Screws
- (8) 10-24 Flanged Nyloc nut
- (8) 1/2 x 7/32 x .036 washer
• Pre-drilled holes for a nearly a dozen fire extinguisher bracket brands
• Black textured powder coating
• Knock-outs for (1) Toyota dash-style switch and (2) waterproof switches
• Chair Lift Spacer- Need just a little more height on the front of your seat because you, or your significant other, needs the seat to move forward a little more than you do? Then this seat spacer will lift the front of the seat .75" which allows the plastic valance to clear the mount. Before you think this is an oversight on the design of the Fire Extinguisher Mount, and its not, its actually designed this way to give the greatest flexibility for users who have leather or cloth seats, electric or manual, AND to accommodate nearly any 2.5# extinguisher's nozzle and handle configuration.
• Fire Extinguisher Mount Cargo Liner- this liner is designed to mount via velcro to the inside of the Fire Extinguisher Mount. Had one large pouch and two smaller pockets.
• Keyed-Alike 80 Series LockBox- if you already have the FEM-2 or are considering getting one, by purchasing both the LockBox and FEM Locking Lid at the same time means you can have both locks keyed alike for your order.
• Waterproof Switch- there are two switch knock-outs available for the FEM-2. This gives you a convenient and easy way to add a switch and associated disconnect wiring to easily add either one or two separate accessories of your choice.
If the seriousness of having a fire extinguisher hasn't been drilled into you enough, please read the following links to bring the point home:
Photo Credit IH8MUD user audaciousduo.