The LANDTANK Modified Fan Clutch is the perfect upgrade for when three conditions occur:
• 1) your are overheating and even while on the frwy
• 2) the fan freely spins relative to the clutch when the motor is running
• 3) you live in an area that sees extremely hot temperatures particularly in the South West. Summers are brutal to these trucks and a faulty fan clutch can turn a family vacation into a complete nightmare quick.
There are two ways to alter the force that is applied to the fan:
1. Change the silicone oil to a heavier CST
2. Change the amount of oil that is sheared at any given temp
Both of these variable are being modified with these clutches to produce a stronger running fan clutch.
A higher CST oil is installed and the valve plate is advanced so that at any given temperature more oil is being sheared. A larger charge of oil is introduced to the clutch to support the fact that more oil is being sheared.
95ºF is the base measurement for tuning the valve plate, nothing more. The 95ºF set point was one that is preferred to get the performance out of the clutch that is ideal without going higher than a 15k CST oil.
These modified clutches have been shipped all over the USA but internationally as well. They are doing the job quite well and haven't seen any feedback that would suggest changing what is being modified.
To modify these clutches the control side is heat soaked and an IR thermometer is used to read the spring temp and then set the valve accordingly. Some fan clutches need only a small adjustment to the valve plate while others need quite a bit, but all of them get adjusted.
Even if you were to have an OEM unit that was close to this setting it would still have both a thinner oil and lesser amount of oil as well.
You will see gains by way of temperature decreases from installing one of these clutches regardless of how good the one you have now is.
Installation (Using a 12mm gear head wrench preferable):
• Remove the four 12mm nuts holding the fan clutch, leave in place
• Remove two 12mm bolts holding fan shroud, move forward
• Remove fan/fan clutch combo from between the radiator and fan shroud
• Swap the fan to new fan clutch, reverse for install
MADE in JAPAN
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I wish I had bought this years ago! It has vastly improved the cooling/AC performance of my LX450...well worth the money!